Sunday, February 14, 2010

A Vacuum for Valentine's Day

First of all, I asked for it. Secondly, it was only because we were out shopping for household incidentals today and I came across the vacuums and I said, “Hey, here’s this vacuum I want, can I have it?”
I had to ask if I could have it because he had to pay for it, and so I think it’s polite. It’s a smaller vacuum, so I can vacuum when I’m not feeling the need to lug the big one around. And it’s RED. If that’s not romantic, I don’t know what is.

Last week charming husband bought me a heart shaped box of chocolates. Nuts and chews, because as we were at the candy store I said that was what I wanted. He told me I couldn’t have it until Valentine’s Day though, so I put it on top of the fridge in its bag and ignored it for several days.
Friday night, while he was in Seattle and not due to return home until Saturday evening, the nuts and chews called to me like a siren enchanting a sailor, and I took the box down, unwrapped it, and took two chocolates out. I placed everything back in carefully and put it back on top of the fridge in its original bag. He would never know.

This afternoon I told him what I’d done.

“I never would have known,” he replied.

“I know, but I can’t keep a secret from you.”

I really can’t.

This morning, before I got out of bed, I said, “I really need to scrub out the shower when I take a shower this morning.”

He took a shower first, and when I got there the shower was clean and sparkling.

He didn’t do this because it was Valentine’s Day, he did it because he does things like this. He hears what I say, and sometimes he gets there ahead of me. Just because. Of course, I then had to scrub the outside of the shower, which wasn’t included on his list of scrubbing, but that’s okay. It’s a lot less work.

I make fun of the jewelry show commercials. You know the ones I mean. “He went to Jared!” And the others that tell us that if he REALLY loved you he’d bring you bright sparkly things from their store. It’s how men show their love. And if they REALLY love you they’ll hit a woolly mammoth over the head and drag it home for dinner, right? Or, I suppose, they’d hit you over the head and drag you home.

Whatever. I find them amusing. And I’m not saying this because charming husband doesn’t buy me jewelry – he’s been known to pick out fabulous things all on his own for me. But I don’t think that love means he’s going to shell out for something I don’t want him to spend money on in order to show his love. He shows it every day in ways that are far more meaningful than how much money he has to spend.

Also amusing are the annual entreaties to tell of our Most Romantic Moment, Our Best Valentine’s Day, Our . . . well, you fill in the blank. Or maybe I’m just easily amused. I am, you know. I spend a good portion of my time being amused. It makes life easier, and much more fun.

I’m not good at favorites or bests. If you were to ask me what my favorite Valentine’s Day was, I’d say this one. Next year I’ll probably say the same thing: “this one.” The year after? “This one.” Charming husband thought he should make dinner for me tonight, but I told him it wasn’t necessary. I’m happy just to be here with him, so we went to lunch and sat in the bar, where we could watch the Olympics while we ate. We took our time, and then we went shopping for household incidentals. Depending on your definition of romance, this could be the absolute best, the absolute worst, or somewhere in between. For me, it’s the best, which is really what matters.

Next week we have the anniversary of the day we met. This is a much more important date to commemorate. It’s not the first date we talked, it’s the first day we met in person. We went to an afternoon movie, “just to see a movie,” because, after all, he was far too young for me. You see how that ended up. So for the anniversary of the day we met, we’re going to see Shutter Island. I’ve been waiting for it, and charming husband is big fan of movies. He says I can have all the popcorn I want.

And that is true love.

No comments:

Post a Comment